Mass School Murders Not Due To Mental Illness

According to a report by Gary Brucato, PhD, and Ragy R. Girgis, MD, mass school murders are not due to mental illness.

I am curious to know what they think it means to be “mentally ill.”  Evidently it doesn’t mean the same thing to them, as it does to me.

According to this report, only about 11% of mass murderers had serious mental illness.  About 45% of these people killed themselves.

The conclusion is that a person who kills a bunch of people and then kills himself, is not seriously mentally ill – or rather, only about 11% of the people who do this are seriously mentally ill.  The other 89% are not considered seriously mentally ill.

Well, I’m no expert, but it seems to me that someone who murders people and commits suicide is not mentally sound.  They’re mentally ill; and since that illness results in multiple deaths, I’d say that’s serious.  Maybe they’re not psychotic, not hallucinating, but… something ain’t right.

This entry was posted in Social Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.